Can a hunchback be corrected?
Many people often wonder, can a hunchback be corrected? Luckily the answer is yes. There are a few ways to fix a hunchback. Some of these ways are complicated while others are less complicated.
Using a brace to fix a hunchback
There are various types of braces available to help fix a hunchback. One such brace is the Milwaukee body brace. It is used most often in the U.S and is most appropriate for children. It is a full torso brace that extends from the pelvis to the skull. When used over a long period of time, it minimizes the progression of a hunched back and along with physical therapy; the hump can be fully corrected. The brace holds the spine straight and pulls the shoulders back and chin upright.
Physical therapy as a way to fix a hunchback
Physical therapy is very helpful when trying to get rid of a hunchback. One method of therapy is the Schroth method. It helps with spinal defamation by correcting spinal and pelvic rotation, increasing lung capacity and improving posture in general. By developing the inner muscles of the rib cage, there is a change in the shape of the upper trunk. A concept central to the Schroth method is overcorrection to reverse mal-posture.
Surgery to fix a hunchback
In some extreme cases, surgery may be necessary to realign the back and reduce the hump. There are two common procedures uses to treat thoracic kyphosis.
- The first is posterior fusion where two or more spinal bones are fused into one solid bone. Strips of bone graft are placed over the spinal column which encourages the bones to grow together. Metal rods are then attached along the spine to prevent the vertebrae from moving and allows for better alignment. It is the recommended method of surgery as there is less blood loss and the surgery time is shorter.
- The second method is the combined fusion method which is usually performed on patients whose spines have finished growing. The surgeon cuts both the chest and the back and inserts bone graft on both sides so the spine grows straight as it heals. There are however some complications associated with surgery such as inflammation of soft tissue, breathing impairments, bleeding and nerve damage.
Using exercise to fix a hunchback
There are several effective exercises which can fix a hunchback and they should focus on the neck, back and chest muscles. Using a massage ball will relieve chest tightness. It is also important to fix the head posture by sliding the head back while holding a straight line of sight. Performing neck extensions will also train your neck so it is held in proper position. Neck retraction is designed to lengthen neck muscles by placing your chin as far down on your chest as possible and holding for a few seconds.
This is the other exercise that can be used to fix a hunchback. It is performed by lying flat on your stomach and using the abdominal muscles to pull the upper body of the floor for a few seconds. This makes the back muscles stronger which will help keep your core strong enough to support the spine.
These various solutions are readily available for those who have hunchbacks. They are the answers to the question; can a hunchback be corrected.
December 18, 2014 / Tracey /
- How Does A Hunchback Sleep?
- How to CPR a hunchback?
- How To Know If You Are Getting A Hunchback?
- Can Yoga cure hunchback?
- How To Avoid Getting A Hunchback?
- What Are The Causes Of Hunchback?
- Can bad posture lead to hunchback?
- Can a chiropractor fix a hunchback?
- How does a hunchback form?
- How To Cure Hunchback By Exercise?